• If it seems like new Waffle Houses are popping up all over the Grand Strand area, they are. There are now nine locations between Little River, Murrells Inlet and Conway, with a 10th Waffle House under construction in Surfside Beach next door to Dagwood’s Deli & Sports Bar at 600 U.S. 17 Business. So if you want a waffle or a Texas melt you’re in good shape, but if you’re craving a pancake you’ll have to keep driving. Waffle House doesn’t serve them.
• Fire & Smoke Gastropub will fire up its wood-burning grill any day now to start serving the public. It’s at 411 79th Ave. N. in Myrtle Beach, in the former location of Lombardo’s American Bistro. In 2013 Lombardo’s moved a short distance away to 7604 N. Kings Highway.
• Restaurant owners Ralph Carbone and Jean Carbone are running customer appreciation specials through Saturday (Jan. 4) at Cozy O’s Italian Bistro at 1699 U.S. 17 in Little River, and through Jan. 5 (Sunday) at Fibbers on the Water at 4498 Waterfront Ave. in Little River. The specials are the same at both restaurants: all food will be discounted by 10 percent and the entire lunch and dinner menus will be available all day.
• Pink Pineapple Bakery & Café is moving a short distance from its original location in Surfside Beach to 357 U.S. 17 Business N., which is in Surfside Plaza. The new space will be open sometime in January.
• For $20 (the price includes a tasting glass) you can spend a Saturday afternoon visiting 13 shops and restaurants in downtown Conway and sampling wines and foods along the way. Rivertown Wine-Around is from 3-6 p.m. on Jan. 11, and by calling Conway Downtown Alive at 248-6260 you can purchase tickets.
• Taste of the Inlet is an evening of heavy appetizers from about 25 Murrells Inlet and Garden City Beach area chefs that raises money for Murrells Inlet 2020, a community revitalization organization. It’s happening from 6-9 p.m. on Jan. 26 at Inlet Square Mall. Ticket prices have not yet been announced, but they go on sale on Monday (Jan. 6) at murrellsinletsc.com.
• Islamorada Fish Company and Bass Pro Shops are sponsoring The Marissa & Jonathan Golf Tournament on Feb. 11 at Diamondback Golf Course in North Myrtle Beach, and it benefits The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. The Captain’s Choice four-person scramble costs $220 per foursome or $60 per person, and lunch is included. To get signed up, contact the Islamorada general manager, Leon Williams, at 361-4700, Ext. 5102, or email@example.com.
• Damon’s Grill is serving a fresh fish of the day. It may be salmon, mahi mahi, wahoo, black tip shark, tuna, grouper, sea bass, red drum and more. The fish is cooked on a flat grill to give it a succulent and moist interior with delicately crispy edges. Damon’s Oceanfront is at 2985 S. Ocean Blvd. in Myrtle Beach, and the number is 626-8000. The North Myrtle Beach location is at 801 U.S. 17 S., and the number is 272-5107. They’re both open daily from 11 a.m. until 9 or 10 p.m.
Becky Billingsley serves daily restaurant news at MyrtleBeachRestaurantNews.com.